What’s in Season: September Produce Guide
What’s in Season: September Produce Guide. Here’s a list of what you should cook this September based on what produce is in season for fresh, delicious and healthy recipes!
Happy September friends & Happy Labor Day! I’m standing here, in the wind, arms wide opening, welcoming fall. Cue a Pumpkin Spice Latte in one hand and a whole pumpkin in the other. There’s still a lot of summer produce that’s still in season but I’m excited for what fall produce that’s just coming in. Can you say – all things pumpkin?
Curious as to what produce is in season in September?
My Favourite Apple Recipes:
- Caramelised Onions, Apples and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Flourless Apple Pie Pancakes (total fave)
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato, Apple & Turmeric Soup by Real Food Whole Life
- Cinnamon Apple Energy Bites by Recipe Runner
Pictured: 5-Ingredient Blackberry Limeade
I fell in love with the juicy tartness of blackberry this summer and keep coming back for more. This Blackberry Limeade recipe was a TOTAL stunner for us and we finished this refreshing drink in ONE day!
My Favourite Blackberry Recipes:
- 5-Ingredient Blackberry Limeade
- Homemade Blackberry Paleo Fruit Roll-Ups by Paleo Grubs
- Blackberry Ricotta Pizza with Basil by The Food Charlatan
My Favourite Broccoli Recipes:
- Asian Tofu Stir Fry with Honey Sriracha Sauce
- Broccoli Crust Pizza by Gimme Delicious
- Broccoli and Cheddar Four Cheese Pizza by Peas and Crayons
I love how bright and beautiful cabbage is. I’ve used it raw for a crunch factor, and I’ve also sautéed it down in coconut milk.
My Favourite Cabbage Recipes:
- Fresh Spring Rolls with Peanut Ginger Sauce
- Kale Cabbage Slaw
- Nourish Buddha Bowl with Harissa Tahini Dressing
- Pickled Red Cabbage by take two tapas
Pictured: Maple Garlic Roasted Carrots
My Favourite Carrot Recipes:
- Maple Garlic Roasted Carrots
- Baked Carrot Fries with Harissa Tahini Dip
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies by Amy’s Healthy Baking
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats by Fit Foodie Finds
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake Waffles by The Crunchy Chronicles
Pictured: Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Wings
My obsession with cauliflower is no secret. It can be transformed in SO many ways and is coming back into season!
My Favourite Cauliflower Recipes:
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Wings
- Crispy Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- Za’atar Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes by iFOOD REAL
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala by Vegetarian Gastronomy
I usually go through 4 eggplants every WEEK. Everything from mini veggie pizzas, amazing toppings for vegan pizzas, stuffed eggplants and baba ghanoush are constantly churning out of my kitchen. Eggplants are so easy to manipulate and are such delicious veggies. You can get SO much variety out of them and shouldn’t be intimidated by them.
My Favourite Eggplant Recipes:
- Almond Crusted Baked Eggplant
- Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
- Baba Ghanoush
- Sheet Pan Eggplant Parmesan by The Two Bite Club
My Favourite Green Beans Recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Sesame Stir-Fry Green Beans
- Crispy Green Bean Fries with Creamy Sriracha Sauce by Joyful Healthy Eats
- Supreme Green Bean Casserole by Low Carb Maven
(HERBS, SPINACH, KALE, AND MORE)
My Favourite Greens Recipes:
I try to keep a bag of fresh greens in my fridge at all times for spur of the moment salads, pestos, and anything else. I always use fresh herbs and you will absolutely taste the difference from dried herbs. I’m thinking of growing my own herb garden next. My new favourite herb is definitely rosemary! I’ve been using it in EVERYTHING.
PEACHES & PLUMS
Pictured: Quinoa Stone Fruit Salad
I’m just getting into peaches and plums (shocker!) but I’ve been putting them in and on everything lately. This Stone Fruit Salad is one you can’t miss.
My Favourite Stone Fruit Recipes:
- Quinoa Stone Fruit Salad
- Stone Fruit Salad with Peaches and Plums
- Grilled Stone Fruit with Coconut Cream
- Really Easy Plum Cake by The Crepes of Wrath
- Summer Stone Fruit Crisp by Bakerita
Pictured: Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
My Favourite Pumpkin Recipes:
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Skinny Vegan Pumpkin French Toast
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Latte by Champagne Tastes
- Pumpkin Caramel Cheesecake Bars with a Streusel Topping by Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Pictured: Quick Pickled Radishes
HOW am I just getting into Radishes? Not only are they so undeniably pretty, their crunch and spice factor reminds me a lot of kohlrabi which I fell in love with two years ago. Be sure to try out all different varieties of radishes including easter egg radishes (pictured above), daikon radishes and any other kinds that you can find!
My Favourite Radish Recipes:
- Quick Pickled Radishes
- Radish and Egg Salad by a Couple Cooks
- Salted Rosemary Roasted Radishes by Running to the Kitchen
Squash is where it’s at. Definitely one of my favourite recipes ever above!
My Favourite Squash Recipes:
- Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with Crispy Sage
- Vegan Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- Butternut, Kale & Feta Quiche by Green Kitchen Stories
- Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash by Eat Well 101
Pictured: One Skillet Shakshuka
I would say tomatoes are my summer/fall staple, but they are definitely one of my LIFE staples. I put tomatoes in and on every. single. thing. Whether’s its using cherry tomatoes, tomato sauce or making my own marinara sauce, tomatoes are so great to use this month because they go with everything! If you aren’t a fan of tomatoes, try using it seasoned instead of raw. It may change your perspective!
My Favourite Tomato Recipes:
- One Skillet Shakshuka ** – super fav recipe
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Burst Cherry Tomatoes
- Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Baked Goat Cheese with Fire Roasted Tomatoes by A Couple Cooks
- Chickpea Dumplings in Curry Tomato Sauce by Diettaste
If you try any of these recipes, please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen. What do you plan to make this month?
P.S. I’ve completely redone my Pinterest boards to be ingredient specific so you can find more great seasonal September produce. Head over to check it out!