What’s in Season: October Produce Guide. Here’s a list of what you should cook this October based on what produce is in season for fresh, delicious and healthy recipes!
Happy October friends, and I can officially say HAPPY FALL! Without a doubt, one of my favourite seasons for all the yummy flavours, cozy meals and pumpkin spice everything!!
Curious as to what produce is in season in October? Here’s your October Produce Guide.
My Favourite Apple Recipes:
- Apple. Gouda and Caramelised Onions Quesadillas
- Caramelised Onions, Apples and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Flourless Apple Pie Pancakes (total fave)
- No Bake Caramel Apple Tartlets (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free) by Beaming Baker
My Favourite Broccoli Recipes:
- Asian Tofu Stir Fry with Honey Sriracha Sauce
- 3-Cheese Mac & Cheese Broccoli Cups
- Roasted Tamari Broccoli Buddha Bowl with Soba, BBQ Red Lentils and Parsley Tahini Sauce by Will Frolic For Food
I love how bright and beautiful cabbage is. I’ve used it raw for a crunch factor, and I’ve also sautéed it down in coconut milk.
My Favourite Cabbage Recipes:
- Fresh Spring Rolls with Peanut Ginger Sauce
- Kale Cabbage Slaw
- Nourish Buddha Bowl with Harissa Tahini Dressing
- Blackberry and Caraway Salad by Anna Banana
Pictured: Maple Garlic Roasted Carrots
My Favourite Carrot Recipes:
- Maple Garlic Roasted Carrots
- Baked Carrot Fries with Harissa Tahini Dip
- Ginger Orange Braised and Glazed Carrots by Flavor the Moments
Pictured: Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Wings
My obsession with cauliflower is no secret. It can be transformed in SO many ways and is coming back into season!
My Favourite Cauliflower Recipes:
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Wings
- Crispy Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- Za’atar Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Cauliflower Alfredo Zoodles with Asparagus and Spring Vegetables by Life Made Sweeter
Pictured: Cheesy Quinoa Stuffed Eggplants
I usually go through 4 eggplants every WEEK. Everything from mini veggie pizzas, amazing toppings for vegan pizzas, stuffed eggplants and baba ghanoush are constantly churning out of my kitchen. Eggplants are so easy to manipulate and are such delicious veggies. You can get SO much variety out of them and shouldn’t be intimidated by them.
My Favourite Eggplant Recipes:
- Almond Crusted Baked Eggplant
- Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
- Baba Ghanoush
- Eggplant Parmesan Pasta Skillet by Cook Nourish Bliss
My Favourite Green Beans Recipes:
(HERBS, SPINACH, KALE, AND MORE)
My Favourite Greens Recipes:
- Creamy Cashew Pea Pesto
- Kale and Pistachio Pesto
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Bowl
- Farro Kale and Olive Salad by Vanilla and Bean
I try to keep a bag of fresh greens in my fridge at all times for spur of the moment salads, pestos, and anything else. I always use fresh herbs and you will absolutely taste the difference from dried herbs. I’m thinking of growing my own herb garden next. My new favourite herb is definitely rosemary! I’ve been using it in EVERYTHING.
Pictured: Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
My Favourite Pumpkin Recipes:
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Skinny Vegan Pumpkin French Toast
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter by Pumpkin ‘n Spice
Pictured: Quick Pickled Radishes
HOW am I just getting into Radishes? Not only are they so undeniably pretty, their crunch and spice factor reminds me a lot of kohlrabi which I fell in love with two years ago. Be sure to try out all different varieties of radishes including easter egg radishes (pictured above), daikon radishes and any other kinds that you can find!
My Favourite Radish Recipes:
Squash is where it’s at. Definitely one of my favourite recipes ever above!
My Favourite Squash Recipes:
- Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with Crispy Sage
- Vegan Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- Butternut Squash and Kale Lasagna by Vanilla and Bean
Pictured: One Skillet Shakshuka
I would say tomatoes are my summer/fall staple, but they are definitely one of my LIFE staples. I put tomatoes in and on every. single. thing. Whether’s its using cherry tomatoes, tomato sauce or making my own marinara sauce, tomatoes are so great to use this month because they go with everything! If you aren’t a fan of tomatoes, try using it seasoned instead of raw. It may change your perspective!
My Favourite Tomato Recipes:
- One Skillet Shakshuka ** – super fav recipe
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Burst Cherry Tomatoes
- Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Burst Tomato Cauliflower Rice Caprese Salad by Whole and Heavenly Oven
If you try any of these recipes from this October Produce Guide, please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen. What do you plan to make this month?
P.S. I’ve completely redone my Pinterest boards to be ingredient specific so you can find more great seasonal October produce. Head over to check it out!