Mexican Street Corn Burrito Bowls
These Mexican Street Corn Burrito Bowls are the healthier, but just as tasty, versions of your favourite burrito! The bowls are drizzled with a creamy and smooth lime crema for a filling and delicious dish that’s perfect for meal prep!
This post has been sponsored by Del Monte®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Oh wow, do I have a recipe for you today, friends! Anyone out there looking for even more delicious healthy recipes and also planning your football watch party eats? This Mexican Street Corn Burrito Bowl falls hand in hand with both. After making my Mexican Street Corn on the grill two years ago, I do all I can to bring that flavour into a couple of dishes throughout the year, and not just in the summer. These bowls achieve just that. Welcome to flavour heaven – with divine charred Del Monte® Fresh Cut Sweet Whole Kernel Corn made on your stovetop and all your favourite burrito bowl ingredients, all drizzled in a creamy and tangy lime crema. P.S. – it all comes together in under thirty minutes.
We’ve always loved Mexican food, especially after our trip to Tulum. So, I always try and find ways to bring the flavours into our homes in a healthy and nutritious way. I’m also a huge fan of bowl meals, because, why not? They are pretty, loaded with flavour, and so easy to package to go.
The Mr. and I always have canned veggies in our pantry, so much so that they’re definitely a staple. I always ensure that I use canned veggies without all that added sodium, which is one of the reasons that I love using Del Monte®. They literally use only three ingredients – the veggies, water, and a dash of sea salt. We only use sea salt in our house (not processed table salt) so this works perfectly with our own values.
In making this recipe, I really wanted it to have that signature char that works so well with corn on the grill. The Del Monte® Fresh Cut Sweet Whole Kernel Corn is so easy to char for this recipe since it has actual fresh corn that holds the char easily. The Mr. was really impressed at the beautiful char and how it brought out the fresh flavour even more. It adds a sweet and smoky flavour to the whole dish, and I admit, I was definitely snacking on it while cooking up the other ingredients.
I also love that Del Monte® packs their vegetables within hours of picking them, at their peak of ripeness. I know you always have to be careful when buying canned products, so I also love that their products are packaged in non-BPA intent cans. It means I know that everything is safe, great for me, and I can focus on creating a fresh and delicious meal.
Probably apart from the great ingredients, my next favourite thing about this recipe is how easy it is to meal prep. It couldn’t get easier. You can make all the ingredients separately, and then package them together for your lunch that day, or mix them together fresh right before you’re about to eat them. They work throughout the week, and you can easily double or even triple this recipe if you’d like. The burrito bowl tastes absolutely divine while hot and is just as good as a cold salad thanks to the use of the quinoa here, so it’s really versatile. The bowls also have a lot of fiber, protein, and whole grains to keep you full for hours, so they make an amazing lunch recipe.
Then, that sauce!! The lime crema is one of our favourite homemade sauces and works so well here! I used vegan greek yogurt, but if you’re not vegan you can use regular greek yogurt. Paired with the sweetness of the Del Monte® Fresh Cut Sweet Whole Kernel Corn and the flavours from the other ingredients, it really brings the whole dish together perfectly once mixed into everything. Enjoy, friends!
P.S. You can find more Del Monte® recipes here.
Mexican Street Corn Burrito Bowls
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 15.25 oz can, 1 ½ cups Del Monte® Fresh Cut Sweet Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or cilantro
Burrito Bowl Seasoning:
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup vegan greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- lime wedges, for garnish
- Top with jalapeño slices, avocado slices, and lime
- Mix all the ingredients for the burrito bowl seasoning and set aside. Similarly, mix all the ingredients for the lime crema together and set aside.
- In a pan over high heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil until very hot. Add in the Del Monte® Fresh Cut Sweet Whole Kernel Corn and stir to combine (it should sizzle from the high heat). Char the Del Monte® Fresh Cut Sweet Whole Kernel Corn for about 2 ½ minutes, tossing every 30 seconds or so to get a char on all pieces of the corn. When charred to your liking, remove from heat, add into a separate bowl and then add in ½ teaspoon of the burrito bowl seasoning.
- In the same pan, add another 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Add in the black beans and red bell peppers. I add mine side by side so they don’t mix, or you could do them one after another. Sprinkle in the rest of the burrito bowl seasoning and stir it in. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the bell pepper has softened slightly and the black beans are well seasoned. Remove from heat.
- Assemble your bowl as you’d like - I like to split the ingredients equally between three bowls, using a cup of quinoa in each. Top with avocado slices, jalapeño slices, and a squeeze of lime. Drizzle with the Lime Crema and serve. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although jessicainthekitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Jessicainthekitchen.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.