Tomato Tortellini Soup
If you’re looking for cozy comfort food in a bowl, this tomato tortellini soup delivers. You’ll love the creamy tomato broth, but let’s be real: the vegan tortellini is the best part!
I do love pureed veggie soups like butternut squash and apple soup, creamy tomato soup, and roasted carrot ginger soup. But sometimes you want a soup recipe that’s a little more substantive. This tomato tortellini soup eats like a meal!
Between the creamy broth, spinach, and irresistible tortellini, this isn’t a soup that will leave you hungry for more. It’s hearty and satisfying, with all those big Italian flavours you love in your favourite vegan pasta recipe. Not that we get much snow here in Jamaica (not to rub it in!), but if there was an official soup of snowy days, tomato tortellini soup would be it.
Why You’ll Love This Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
- It’s vegan. Most tortellini soups contain dairy, but this recipe is completely plant-based. Now you can enjoy this creamy comfort food soup by making it yourself!
- Perfect for weeknight dinners. With simple ingredients and minimal prep time, this soup is quick to make and ideal for hectic weeknights when you need a hearty meal without the hassle.
- Easy to customise. Add your favorite greens, herbs, or tortellini to make this recipe your own.
- Comforting. Tomato tortellini soup is like a warm hug in a bowl!
Notes on Ingredients
Scroll down to the recipe card to find the ingredient quantities and recipe instructions.
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion – A white onion will also work, but yellow onions have a slightly milder flavour.
- Crushed tomatoes – Crushed tomatoes add a little more texture than pureed, making them a good option for a hearty soup.
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes – While you can use regular diced tomatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes add another layer of flavour to the tomato tortellini soup.
- Tomato sauce
- Vegetable stock – Use store-bought or homemade vegetable broth.
- Italian seasoning – An excellent way to add a lot of flavour without having to grab a bunch of jars from the pantry!
- Garlic powder
- Vegan tortellini
- Vegan cream cheese – You can use my homemade vegan cream cheese or a store-bought version.
- Spinach leaves – These will wilt into the soup, adding some extra nutrition.
- Salt and pepper
What Kind of Tortellini Should I Use for This Recipe?
Any kind you like! These days, you can find vegan tortellini made with plant-based cheese, sausage, and, of course, vegetables like spinach and mushrooms. All of these have flavours that would work well in this tomato tortellini soup recipe.
How to Make Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Cook the onion. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Sauté the onion with the salt until it’s translucent.
- Build the soup. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 2 cups of vegetable stock, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook the tortellini. Add the tortellini to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes if you’re using frozen tortellini or 5 minutes for fresh.
- Make it creamy. While the tortellini cooks, ladle 1 ½ cups of the tomato broth into a blender. Add the vegan cream cheese and blend until smooth. Stir the contents of the blender back into the soup.
- Finish it off. Stir the spinach leaves into the soup until they wilt, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tips for Success
- Cut the onion into uniform pieces. This will ensure it’s all softened at the same time. No one likes pieces of crispy onion in their soup!
- Thin as desired. For a thinner soup, you can stir in up to a cup of additional vegetable stock.
- Make your own Italian seasoning. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, substitute with an equivalent amount of dried basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
- Don’t overcook the tortellini. Keep an eye on the tortellini while cooking, as they can become mushy if overcooked.
- Add in some protein like chickpeas, white beans, or vegan Italian sausage for an extra filling meal.
- Make it spicy by adding red chili flakes with the onions.
- Swap the tortellini with vegan cauliflower gnocchi or your favorite pasta shape.
- Garnish with chopped fresh herbs like basil or parsley and vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with some crusty bread or roasted garlic bread for dipping and soaking up the delicious broth.
- Pair with a side salad dressed in a simple balsamic vinaigrette for a well-rounded meal. This chickpea panzanella salad would be great too!
- Have your tomato tortellini soup with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich on the side.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftover tomato tortellini soup, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through before serving.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, this tomato tortellini soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container or bag. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating as directed above.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Mulligatawny Soup
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Recipe
- Easy Lentil Soup
Enjoy friends! If you make this tomato tortellini soup, please snap a photo and tag #jessicainthekitchen on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, 15 ml
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ teaspoons salt, 3 grams
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, 794 grams
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 794 grams
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce, 525 grams
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock, 500-750 ml
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 5.5 grams
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 3 grams
- 3 cups vegan tortellini, 330 grams
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, 227 grams
- 2 cups spinach leaves, 60 grams
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, season with salt, and saute until translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 2 cups (500 ml) of vegetable stock, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Give everything a good stir. If you would like a thinner soup, stir in an additional cup (250 ml) of vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and cook for 10 minutes if you are using frozen tortellini, 5 minutes if you are cooking fresh.
- While the tortellini are cooking, ladle 1 ½ cups (355 ml) of the tomato broth into a blender. Add the vegan cream cheese to the blender. Blend until smooth. Stir the contents of the blender back into the soup.
- Stir the spinach leaves into the soup and simmer until they have wilted.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Disclaimer: Although jessicainthekitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Jessicainthekitchen.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.