Roasted Garlic Bread
Garlic bread is always good, but making it with buttery, caramelised roasted garlic takes it to the next level. This vegan Roasted Garlic Bread is going to be your new go-to pairing for all your favourite pasta dishes!
Is there anyone who doesn’t like garlic bread? It’s toasty, buttery, perfect for soaking up soups and sauces, and, of course, it’s super garlicky too. How can you improve on the original when it’s just so perfect as-is?
Well, you could make Roasted Garlic Bread by smearing the bread with soft, caramelised roasted garlic cloves. Yes!
It’s no secret that I’m a big believer in the magic of roasted garlic. It takes that sharp, assertive garlic flavour and mellows it out. Roasted garlic is creamy, buttery, fragrant, and just a touch sweet thanks to the caramelisation. I could eat it in just about anything, but this Roasted Garlic Bread might just be my favourite way to use it because you can really enjoy the roasted garlic in all its glory here.
Why Is Garlic Bread Not Vegan?
When it comes to traditional garlic bread, it’s not vegan because it’s made with butter. My recipe is made with vegan butter, so it’s dairy-free!
Notes on Ingredients
Please note that this is important information on the ingredients and instructions and the FULL recipe with amounts and details can be found DOWN BELOW (scroll to it) in the recipe card.
- Demi baguette – Or just use half a baguette.
- Garlic – Choose fresh garlic cloves, without any green sprouting from the tops.
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Vegan butter – Here’s how to make your own vegan butter.
- Red pepper flakes – You can omit these if you want a milder flavour, or use cracked black pepper instead.
How to Make Roasted Garlic Bread
You can roast the garlic up to a few days in advance; if you do this, you can have your garlic bread ready to eat in a matter of minutes!
Prepare. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
Roast the garlic. Cut off the tops of the garlic, exposing all of the cloves. Place each head on a piece of foil and drizzle them with olive oil, then sprinkle them with salt. Cover the garlic with the foil and place it in your oven to roast for 60 minutes. Let the garlic cool enough to handle and keep the oven on.
Make the garlic butter spread. Combine the butter, parsley, sea salt, and red pepper flakes. Squeeze the garlic cloves into the bowl and use a spoon or fork to mash the garlic and butter, then stir until the mixture is smooth.
Assemble. Cut the baguette in half lengthwise and spread the garlic butter over the cut sides of the bread.
Bake. Place the two bread halves on a parchment- or foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bread is golden, toasty, and crispy. Transfer to a cutting board and slice.
Tips for Success
Here are some tips and hints for making vegan Roasted Garlic Bread.
- No vegan butter? No problem! If you can’t find vegan butter at your grocery store, you can mash the garlic in olive oil instead. While it won’t be quite as buttery, the roasted garlic itself has a buttery flavour to it.
- Using different types of bread. French and Italian bread make great garlic bread too, or you can use homemade dinner rolls for personal-sized garlic bread.
- Cheesy garlic bread. Add nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan to the garlic butter mixture for a cheesy flavour.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover roasted garlic bread wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it in a 350ºF oven for about 10 minutes, or until it’s warmed through and crisp on the edges.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, you can wrap the garlic bread well and freeze it for up to 3 months. It can be reheated from frozen in a 350ºF oven for about 15 minutes, or you can thaw it in the refrigerator first and then it should be warmed up in about 10 minutes.
What Goes Best With Garlic Bread?
Here are some of my favourite recipes to enjoy with homemade Roasted Garlic Bread:
- 20 Minute Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Pasta with Cashew Cream
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Enjoy friends! If you make this vegan roasted garlic bread recipe, please snap a photo and tag #jessicainthekitchen on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
Roasted Garlic Bread
- 1 Demi baguette, like a baguette half the length of the traditional really long one
- 2 heads of garlic
- drizzle of olive oil and crack of sea salt
- ½ stick vegan butter, room temp
- 2 tablespoons finely diced parsley
- crack sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C. Cut off the tops of two heads of garlic. Place them on a piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a crack of sea salt. Cover the garlic completely with the foil by crumbling it over. Place in your oven and roast for 60 minutes.
- Remove and allow the garlic to cool a little (don’t turn your oven off).
- In a bowl, add the vegan butter, parsley, sea salt and red pepper flakes. Squeeze the roasted garlic into the bowl. Using a spoon, fork, or whisk, stir all the ingredients together until fully combined.
- Cut your baguette in half. Spread the garlic butter spread all over the insides of the loaves.
- Place the slathered garlic bread onto a parchment, foil or silicone lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at the same temperature (can do up to 15 but watch carefully) and then remove. Place on a cutting board, slice and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although jessicainthekitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Jessicainthekitchen.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.