Peppermint Chocolate Brownies (Gluten Free)
These Flourless Peppermint Chocolate Brownies are incredibly chewy, fudgy and full of chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate. They are SO decadent!
This weekend was one of most exciting ones for me and Jessica in the Kitchen – I won a special award for my contribution to food blogging in Jamaica! I shared photos on my Facebook page so please definitely check those out! Being awarded was such an honour, and reminded me at the core, why I love Jessica in the Kitchen and why I show up every week to post here.
What better way to celebrate than with these brownies?
When I think of Christmas, I automatically think of PEPPERMINT and CHOCOLATE. Well, I think of chocolate all the time, but it does seem to fit so perfectly in this scenario. This is my most beloved brownie recipe aka the BEST brownies titled by dozens of folks, that I created about 4 years ago and have been using whenever I need to make brownies ever since. They’ve been compared to Ghirardelli Brownies! I can’t make this stuff up.
My usual recipe was made with all purpose flour and I wanted to revolutionise it so that you could get flourless brownies and brownies that are still thick, chewy and fudgy all at the same time. Guess what? It happened, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results. Oats have been a true friend to me on this blog and have helped with removing flour from recipes and replacing them with ground up oats. That’s exactly what I did here – I upped the dry quantity from ¾ cup to 1 cup of oat “flour” since oats absorb liquid so much and ensured to use rolled oats since I still wanted thick brownies. I’m incredibly impressed with the results.
The oats worked even better than I thought and you won’t even realise. They created beautifully tall thick and chewy peppermint chocolate brownies that were fudgy all at once, while being offset with the Christmas addition of peppermint extract. This is in no way a sponsored post, but I do believe that the best brownies are made with chocolate chips and not cocoa powder, and Ghirardelli chocolate chips/baking chips are the best ones to use. Seriously, I have used every single time and none have produced results like those have. After I took one (okay ten) bites my teeth sunk deep and I was hit by every flavour all at once in the most delightful way. It’s healthier comfort food, but some AMAZING comfort food nonetheless.
So, now that we’re done obsessing over the brownie itself, the white chocolate candy cane topping. I knew most recipes have an entirely new layer on top but I really wanted the brownies to shine through without making this dessert too much. I melted some white chocolate mixed with a drop of peppermint extract, drizzled it on top and sprinkled crushed candy canes on top. It seems so simple (and it is) but it creates such a flavour explosion in your mouth that I dare you to make these and only eat one.
Christmas is so close and these peppermint chocolate brownies need to be made in your kitchen. Whip up two batches so you can gift one, and eat one all by yourself.
If you try these Chocolate Peppermint Brownies (Gluten Free) please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.
If you try this Flourless Peppermint Chocolate Brownies please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.
Flourless Peppermint Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup oat flour, ground rolled oats in a food processor or blender until fine measured after pulsed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, I use unprocessed natural brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
White Chocolate Candy Cane Topping:
- 1/4 cup white chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- a small drop of peppermint extract
- 2 crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave for a minute, stirring after to see if chips have melted. If not, microwave in increments of 30 seconds until completely melted.
- In a medium bowl, sift the oat flour, salt and baking soda until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, sugar and oil and mix until combined for about 2 minutes. Add the water and the vanilla extract. Add to the dry mixture to the wet mixture and melted chocolate chips and stir for about 3 minutes until combined.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and peppermint extract.
- Pour into a greased, parchment lined, or a greased foil-lined 8x8 square pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- When finished, remove from oven and allow to cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- After brownies have cooled, drizzle white chocolate mixture over brownies then sprinkle candy canes on top.
White Chocolate Candy Cane Topping
- Melt 1/4 cup white chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in coconut oil and peppermint extract and mix until smooth. Place in a ziplock bag and cut off a corner.
Disclaimer: Although jessicainthekitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Jessicainthekitchen.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.