One Pot Red Lentil Chili (Vegan & Gluten Free, Stovetop)
This One Pot Red Lentil Chili takes only ten minutes of prep! It makes an absolutely delicious vegan chili and it incredibly easy to whip up for you and your family!
This post was originally published on January 22, 2018.
Thank you so much to everyone for your incredibly kind comments, emails, texts and messages about my last post! I’ve been prepping for the trip by making lots of recipes in advice so that I can keep sharing them throughout the time I’m away with you guys, in case I can’t make recipes for the blog while I’m there. Needless to say – this was a very delicious process, and one of the recipes I made that I couldn’t get enough of was this One Pot Red Lentil Chili. Oh my gosh. WHAT a chili!
Chili on the Stovetop
Whether you’re prepping for Thanksgiving, it’s cold by you or you’re a chili fan like me, you are really going to love this chili. This Red Lentil Chili was inspired by my Vegan Crockpot Chili and by you! Several of you asked me for a stovetop chili. It was the first “short time” chili that I made and I am honestly so glad I did.
I’m happy to present that this is one of the last satisfying meals I’ve had in a long time. The flavours are so incredibly developed in just half an hour of being on the stove, but I feel like they taste even better the next day. Not only that, but it takes such a short time to make! I honestly didn’t know that the flavours could develop so richly and so deeply but the low and slow simmer really does help that.
Red Lentil Chili benefits
- Meal preppable
- One Pot
- Freezer friendly
- Filled with protein
- Lots of fibre
- Insanely delicious
- Great for Super Bowl parties
Stovetop Red Lentil Chili (Vegan & Gluten Free) 10 Min Prep
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 840 ml 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 400 g 14 ounces tomatoes, diced (if using canned, do not drain)
- 1 red onion
- 15 oz. can black beans
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper, about ½ bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper, about ½ bell pepper
- 123 g ½ cup corn
- ½ small chili pepper*, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shredded carrot, 101.49g
- juice of 1 lime
- For garnish: vegan cheese, vegan greek yogurt, parsley,
- In the large stockpot over medium high heat, add in all the ingredients and stir completely to combine.
- Bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Cover slightly, and let the chili cook down for 25-30 minutes. Stir every now and then to ensure that the lentil don't stick to the bottom. Allow to cook until the red lentils are cooked completely and begins to thicken.
- Remove from the stove, and squeeze in the juice of lime, stirring to thoroughly combine. Let it cool slightly before serving. Top with your favourite garnishes, and enjoy! I love adding some avocado on top!
Disclaimer: Although jessicainthekitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Jessicainthekitchen.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.