Quick Pickled Cabbage (+ How To Pickle Any Vegetable)
This Quick Pickled Cabbage recipe takes only 10 minutes! It completely transforms the pickles, and adds a divine pop of flavour to any recipe. Use them in sandwiches, tacos, burgers and any recipe you like!
There’s something completely satisfying about a simple recipe that’s done so beautifully well. A recipe that doesn’t need much effort or work, yet comes out so divine that you wonder, what was that flavour that made it so unique?
Often times this has happened to me in restaurants and I realised that the chef did something to a particular ingredient that I’ve never done, so of course I wouldn’t be able to figure it out. Case in point – using pickled vegetables.
On their own it’s obvious, but when in combination with other ingredients, what a beautiful medley of flavours it can create! This Quick Pickled Cabbage certainly does that.
Add this to an already delicious vegan burger with a creamy sauce. To a taco. To a slaw. It creates something close to perfection. A sweet, brine-y flavour that you almost NEED each time now!
Pickling vegetables is one of my favourite ways to enjoy them. You transform something that already works, and make it way better, with way more flavour, thanks to our lovely friend vinegar. The vegetable becomes softer. More delicate in shape. Adds such a burst of flavour. Plus, it’s so easy to do. I love that you can pretty much pickle anything, with any flavour too. Some of my favourites:
Use this simple recipe for any of the above and see the magic to come alive. Boil the vinegar, then add the veggies, then soak. It’s really that easy. Then of course, let the fridge do the rest of the work for you. The real work happens when the vegetables are cooling, and by the next day, it’s like a true masterpiece.
Apart from the divine flavour, one of my favourite things about this quick pickled cabbage is that beautiful pink hue! It makes any meal automatically prettier, which already makes you feel like it’s going to taste better, so win, win, right?
Quick Pickled Cabbage
- ½ head red cabbage, chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut/cane/brown sugar
- lime slices
- handful of peppercorns + any additional seasonings, cumin seeds, jalapeño etc.
- In a pot, add the vinegar, water, sea salt, sugar and peppercorns. If using any other additional seasonings, add them now too. Stir together. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Add in the red cabbage, and allow to boil for 2 minutes with the red cabbage.
- Remove from heat, let cool for 1 minute, then pour into a mason jar large enough to hold everything and that also allows the red cabbage to be completely covered in the vinegar mixture. Add in the lime slices (optional) and swirl together to mix everything together.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely to room temperature. You can serve immediately once cooled, but if you let it sit and continue to pickle, the flavours meld incredibly. I tried mine three days later and they were perfect. A week is even better. They will last several weeks in your fridge in a mason jar that has the cover tightly screwed on.
Disclaimer: Although jessicainthekitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Jessicainthekitchen.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.