These Watermelon Mojitos are incredible easy to make, only 5 ingredients and are a perfect refreshing, minty summer cocktail!
Back at it again with another Watermelon recipe, but hey – remember we are preparing for summer, okay? Also, it’s the WEEKEND so you’re going to need a great cocktail to celebrate. During our fun filled pre-Memorial Day celebration BBQ filled with amazing grilled veggies, I made the bold declaration that I was going to make Watermelon Mojitos for the first time, completely untested and went ahead and used ALL of the watermelon in the house on the first go. Now completely aware that this could end in total failure, I went forth brave (foolish?) and whipped this recipe together. Well, Thank God, the comment after the first taste “I hope you wrote down exactly what you did for this recipe – this is a keeper.”
To be fair, it’s pretty hard to mess up a watermelon recipe. I’ve been a watermelon addict all my life, and have found that anything in goes into – popsicles, by itself, a sorbet, a salad, the list goes on – it all comes out pretty perfect. Watermelons themselves are so versatile and refreshing in nature that they give that effect to anything and everything they are added to. Case in point these shining watermelon mojitos.
Sure, mojitos are great all by themselves thanks to the magic of mint, and well duh, rum. What happens when you add juicy, sweet and fruity watermelon to the mix? You may as well be automatically transported to a tropical (hey!) island on the beach, sipping on these watermelon mojitos while gazing into the deep, clear blue sea. That immediate imagery is incredibly tempting, and something I kind of need to do like yesterday, but that’s exactly how you’ll feel after you sip on this. Now, I’m not trying to say that a cocktail drink will give you amazing health benefits, but it does help with watermelon which apparently I was right is 90% water, is also loaded with vitamins A, B6 and C, antioxidants and amino acids among other great benefits. P.S. While I did add natural homemade simple syrup, I would definitely taste the drink before adding the simple syrup and adjust based on how sweet your watermelon is.
Look out summer, here we come! I know, super lame ending, but it sounded really preppy AND cool in my head. I’ll just stick to creating the yummy recipes, yah?
Watermelon Mojitos Recipe
- 1/2 a medium size watermelon (about 4 lbs watermelon), seeds removed and cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup white rum
- 20-30 fresh mint leaves, muddled
- 1/2 cup simple syrup (made with coconut, cane or raw brown sugar)
- Add your watermelon chunks to a food processor and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. You should still have some watermelon chunks left at this point.
- Pour the watermelon chunks into a large pitcher and add in the lime juice, muddled mint leaves and stir. and white rum. Stir vigorously for about 15-30 seconds to incorporate.
- Taste and add the appropriate amount of simple syrup based on the sweetness of your watermelon, up to ½ cup simple syrup.
- Pour into an ice filled glass and enjoy!
- This recipe is vegan and gluten free. The rum I use is a Jamaican Appleton White Rum. If your watermelon has seeds, you should remove the seeds. Alternatively, you could strain the watermelon but you will miss that cool refreshing watermelon taste.
- You can make the simple syrup by boiling ½ cup sugar with ½ cup water until completely liquid, stirring often. Cool it down, then use. HOW TO STORE
You can store this Mojito recipe in the pitcher in the fridge for several days.
If you try these Watermelon Mojitos please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.
MORE DELICIOUS DRINKS