This Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread is made with delicious homemade pumpkin puree, refined sugar free, vegan and gluten free! This bread is soft, decadent AND healthy!
It’s September so you know what that means – all things pumpkin! Kidding (not really). Truthfully, pumpkin is something that’s had in my house year-round – it’s always in season so it’s not odd to see us having pumpkin soup in July (let’s just forget about the heat of outside). I’ve grown up loving pumpkin in anything, and so making this pumpkin bread was pretty exciting for me. Let me tell you: you’re going to love this healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread. First things first, it’s actually healthy without tasting healthy (win win) and is SO good! As if the pumpkin bread part itself wasn’t amazing alone, I went and added chocolate chips. Let’s get right into it, shall we?
First, a joke. I made this bread three times. Now, coming from someone who has been baking for almost a decade, that’s never happened to me. I usually work with a recipe, try something out and it comes out great. Woohoo, confetti, slices of chocolate cake in celebration! Not this time. This was my first time experiment with gluten free flour, and I think that psyched me out to begin with. After the first attempt, with the bread doing absolutely nothing I was convinced I was a gluten free baker failure. After the second time, completely changing measurements and reading tons of useful guides, and the bread doing nothing…three things occurred to me:
1) If you can reach in and pick up the bread at “350 degrees Fahrenheit” it means your oven isn’t at 350 degrees…
2) Ensure your oven is working before you start to bake.
3) Maybe 3 years from now I will laugh at this. Maybe.
You see, this was the first time I was using my gas stove in over 6 months and maybe the gas had ran out. Folks, a word of advice, use a working oven. You’d think after years of baking, it would occur to me that after the first fail the oven wasn’t anywhere near hot! In fact the thermometer came back at 150 degrees F (if so much).
Once the oven glitches were out of the way, the first time I properly baked this vegan pumpkin chocolate chip bread it came out perfectly. I’m kind of glad for the glitches because it made me realise gluten free baking is totally different from regular baking. You need a medium flour and a heavy flour and a starch (the baking powder has cornstarch) to help balance everything out so you have a loaf that is firm and light at the same time. Let’s talk about soft. I was afraid of this bread being dense but it was the opposite – it’s so soft and decadent!
Best part about this healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread? It doesn’t taste “gluten free” or like anything different was done to it. Everyone in my family approved which is major coming from them. I know I’ll be making this bread again in the upcoming months but I’m thinking probably in the form of muffins. How awesome would those be?!
Part of switching to healthier baking is to show you all that you can still get delicious treats that are good for you, without sacrificing taste! Truthfully, you could have this bread for breakfast. At least, I may have had two slices for breakfast. Oops.
All in the name of pumpkin, right?
P.S. Here are some of the items I used to make this recipe if you’d like to use them too:
| WHAT YOU’LL NEED // SHOP MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS & PREP PRODUCTS |
Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 4.6 ounces brown rice flour
- 4.4 ounces “sweet” sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, tossed in 2 tablespoons sorghum flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- In a standing mixer, mix the pumpkin puree, the coconut oil and the coconut milk until combined for about 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients mix a cup at a time, working into the wet ingredients on a medium to low speed until it's all combined. Don't over mix - up to 2 minutes while using your spatula to scrape down is enough. The mixture won't be thin, and will be a little thick.
- Stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- "Pour" batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. The loaf is finished when a knife or tester comes out clean (except for maybe some chocolate on it).
Recipe NotesIt's VERY important to weigh out your flour in gluten free baking so as to get accuracy! Please use a kitchen scale rather than a cup measurement to weight them out - gluten free flours do not weigh as much as gluten flours.
If you try this Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.