These Vegan and Gluten Free Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers with Strawberry BBQ Sauce will transform the way you see veggie burgers…they are loaded with flavour, texture and are so filling!
If you’re someone who doesn’t love veggie burgers, I’m about to change that for good. We are talking I-would-rather-eat-this-at-any-barbecue veggie burgers. Let’s go.
Last year on one of our excursions in Portland, Jamaica, the Mr. and I stopped by a supposedly infamous burger joint that was supposed to have THE best burgers in the entire Caribbean. Huh? We’ve got to check this out clearly. I’m not sure who was paid to write these claims, but between my sad, soft and soggy version of a veggie burger made of soggy spinach and melted cheese on top, and his previously-frozen beef burger and our out of the bag fries, these were NOT the best burgers of ANYWHERE in the world. Then I started to think, is this what people think of veggie burgers? This is BAD!
Since then, I’ve kind of been on a mission. I have had some amazing vegetarian food in this country but not burgers, which is kind of sad since items like sweet potatoes and black beans are a staple in many Jamaican restaurants and homes. I’m sure they are out there, somewhere, waiting for me to discover them. Until then, it was time for us to make some of our own at home. In walks black bean and quinoa burgers, which can I say, WHY did I have a fear of black beans? Why didn’t I know they were so delicious? So glad that view is gone, because they babies were SO DELICIOUS. They are also completely vegan and honestly didn’t need any cheese to top them off because from the flavour of the burger plus the flavour of the Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce, I was pretty much sold. Avid meat lover Mr. Jessiker Bakes chowed these down alongside me ½ second after I turned my camera to OFF, and we kind of just sat in silence.
I couldn’t speak while eating a piece of heaven! Finally we both came up for air and did a fist bump of “great job” to each other although, I have to credit him 100% for making these.
Wednesday tip? Get on to making these! I’m not here to make you feel like this will replace your meat burgers, because these aren’t imitation burgers, they have their own beauty. Here’s to seeing myself at endless barbecues chowing down on these!
Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers with Strawberry BBQ Sauce
These Vegan and Gluten Free Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers with Strawberry BBQ Sauce will transform the way you see veggie burgers...they are loaded with flavour, texture and are so filling!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup), diced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 7 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat until hot, and sauté the onions, red bell peppers, garlic and black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt until cooked down, about 3 minutes. Allow the vegetables to cool a bit.
- In a food processor, add the black beans, cooked quinoa, sautéed vegetables, red pepper flakes and remaining salt. Pulse until combined, not too much to make it mushy but until incorporated.
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, form the mixture into burgers (ensure to spray your hands with oil first - they are sticky!). They can make 3 large burgers or 6 smaller burgers. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- In a pan over medium high heat, heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the burgers to it and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side, until crispy and cooked through.
- Serve as you desire, in a burger form or in a lettuce wrap. We added burger buns, onions, tomato and lettuce and barbecue sauce. Enjoy!
If you loved these burgers, you’ll always love these Sun-dried Tomato and Mozzarella Quinoa Burgers!