Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats are an easy, low carb and absolutely delicious vegetarian main dish! Loaded with protein and meal prep friendly!
Happy Friday! Here’s a warm, comforting and so insanely healthy and low carb dinner option for you: …these Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats! YES, they can be eaten any time of the year. YES, they can eaten with your fav leftover meatloaf or even chili! Also, for a third YES, they taste absolutely incredible.
Hello new fav low carb dinner.
The first time I heard about Spaghetti Squash way agesssss ago in high school. Okay, that wasn’t that long ago, but when adulting hits you hard with bills and responsibilities, you really long for high school. Anyway, it was on a blog undressedskeleton which I think has completely rebranded but she was offering, yummy and delicious low carb spaghetti idea.
Low carb spaghetti? UHM, yes please!
Fast forward a billion years later and I’m in the supermarket buying ingredients for upcoming posts. I passed this spaghetti squash and was really curious to give it a try. Why not?
I am SO glad I did. Friends, it is magical.
Let me admit. This does not taste like spaghetti, and that’s completely OKAY. This has it’s own amazing flavours. It is like angel hair pasta, and it doesn’t have an overwhelming squash taste at all. It does taste super carb-y – a total win. So, that’s our first step of these Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats.
Next, the actual lasagna ingredients.
Making lasagna healthy isn’t a natural reaction. So I bought all the ricotta and decided to completely wing it. Yes, I’m being serious. I used my basic lasagna skills and decided to add my vegan meatloaf, a little bit of mozzarella cheese, lots of tomato sauce and some herbs.
Oh my GOSH. Flavour town! I know, I hate that I said that too, but seriously. This recipe worked out so deliciously.
I mixed all the ingredients in together and it REALLY does that like a lasagna would. It doesn’t taste healthy at all (yay) and it’s loaded with so much protein. That makes me really happy. Best of all, there’s barely any cooking if you’re using my Vegan Meatloaf. If not, feel free to do what my husband always does. Heat up some frozen veggie burgers, homemade or store-bought organic, chop them up or crumble them, then add your favourite seasonings. Or use any other replacement you desire in similar quantities. Onions, garlic, anything you desire. My Vegan Meatloaf already has all of that, so no need to add anymore.
Then bake again and make for this beauty to come together. The first meal I made for the Mr. when we were dating was lasagna. Well, technically the first time we met it was these Bailey’s Cheesecakes, but I actually intentionally made lasagna for him. His reaction then was identical to it now – he ate it all.
He even ate the leftovers. Unheard of. What does that mean? You need to make this too. If you make some veggie burgers (or have some in the freezer) or a chili, you can sub either for the vegan meatloaf. Or, you could make the vegan meatloaf 😉 and use the leftovers. WIN, win! It’s completely up to you but I guarantee you’ll enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- 1 cup vegan meatloaf or cooked down veggie burgers, crumbled
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella shreds
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and spoon out all the insides. All the stringy bits and the seeds.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and place cut side up on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until sides are slightly brown and squash is cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Pat with a paper towel to remove any water that has formed. Don't turn your oven off.
- Using a fork, scrape the squash from side to side until it resembles spaghetti. Don't pierce through the squash at the bottom or sides.
- In a bowl, mix the meatloaf, ricotta, and tomato sauce together. Add salt and pepper to taste if necessary. Spoon a bit into the strands and mix until coated. Then spoon the rest equally into each half of the squash, covering everything.
- Top with two tablespoons of mozzarella on each.
- Bake for 15 more minutes in the oven until everything is heated through and cheese begins to brown slightly.
- You can broil for a few minutes on low if also desired.
- Top with parsley to garnish. Enjoy!
- This recipe is gluten free and low carb with a vegan option.
- TO MAKE IT VEGAN Use vegan ricotta cheese or any soft vegan cheese . You can also buy vegan mozzarella shreds.
If you try this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.
MORE LOW CARB DINNERS