Learn how to make cauliflower rice in a few short steps in 15 minutes! So easy, and a great low carb and low cal alternative to regular rice!
Whoa, October is almost over! So, I’ve been making cauliflower rice for a few years. For some reason I didn’t think it was post worthy. I’ve decided that instead of waiting till, well, never, it’s about time to share.
If you haven’t heard about cauliflower rice, then get ready for a low carb, low calorie alternative for one of the world’s favourite carbs.
Cauliflower rice is so much easier than you’d ever imagine. Grind up cauliflower in a food processor, or a grater, and that’s it. No seriously, that’s all it takes to rice cauliflower. Of course, we want to transfer this into something we actually want to eat with flavour, so here’s comes a few extra steps.
I love to drain all the liquid out of my cauliflower with a paper towel, and then to add it to a few teaspoons of coconut oil (or olive oil) with some salt, pepper, garlic and lime to give it some flavour.
Voila, in just 10 to 15 minutes, you’ve made Cauliflower Rice! It’s so easy it’s almost recipe-less, which is probably why I didn’t share it, but it’s a great low carb alternative that you should definitely know about. Also, it’s a lot more versatile than rice.
You can use this in the place of a pizza crust by adding in an egg or egg substitute. Or, make a cauliflower fried rice (hello next idea). You could even use it in burger recipes that call for brown rice. It is of course more delicate, so handle this beauty with care.
Have fun experimenting!
P.S. Here are some of the items I used to make this recipe if you’d like to use them too:
| WHAT YOU’LL NEED // SHOP MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS & PREP PRODUCTS |
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower, stem removed
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 lime
- Cut the cauliflower into manageable floret pieces.
- In a food processor, add the pieces and pulse until it resembles rice. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a grater but I found better success with a food processor.
- Add the riced cauliflower to a paper towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium high heat, heat the coconut oil.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add the riced cauliflower, salt, pepper and lime and stir to combine. Cook until the cauliflower begins to brown slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and enjoy!
- This recipe is vegan and gluten free. You can add any flavourings you desire to the cauliflower rice.
HOW TO STORE
You can store the cauliflower rice in an airtight tupperware container in the fridge, and reheat in the microwave or on a stovetop like regular rice.
WW SMART POINTS: 1