Without a doubt, the Mr. and I are pasta people. When you’re both working super long days, it’s such an easy fridge cleaner dish that can make that hard day melt away with one bite. We always have coconut milk in the house for that exact reason, and an endless amount of gluten free pastas in all shapes and sizes and colours. Red lentil, green lentil, black bean elbow pasta, and your good old penne gluten free pasta? You name it, we got it. I love exploring new types and it is FASCINATING the tastes that come through and complement the meal you’re enjoying.
So what makes a great, simple creamy veggie pasta? A great sauce and any vegetable that has a meaty texture that’ll make you feel like you’re in comfort heaven like eating it. When I’m winging it, I tend to grab for eggplant or zucchini, sauté it down, and then throw it in the pasta. That recipe is also coming.
Here, I knew I wanted to use mushrooms. Oh mushrooms, I love you in all your different shapes and sizes. I love a great standard cremini, baby Bella or button mushroom for this garlic mushroom pasta because you can get nice consistent amounts in each bite, without spending a ton of money on a speciality type. That being said, portobello, shiitake and oyster mushrooms would taste MAGNIFICENT here. Treat yo’ self.
Apart from the mushrooms, the key to this garlic mushroom pasta is one other thing: coconut milk. I think it adds ALL the right flavour, creaminess and wow factor without being heavy or weighing down the dish. In fact, I love using coconut milk in place of cream in everything: from sautéeing my spinach, to my homemade ice creams. Anyway, it really makes this dish super creamy, is well absorbed by the mushrooms, and makes it a delicious alternative to an alfredo pasta.
One super tip to take this up an even further notch? Using roasted garlic. Roasted garlic is soft, buttery, incredibly fragrant and makes every single dish in your life that much better. I love it in my homemade roasted tomato sauce, and I know for a fact it would be amazing here too. Put it on an hour before you plan to make dinner, and you’ll be in garlicky mushroom heaven.
Enjoy friends! I know this recipe will make you feel all sorts of happy comfort!
WATCH THE VIDEO TO SEE HOW IT’S MADE:
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Pasta (Vegan + GF)
- 1 lb box of spaghetti, linguine or any other gluten free pasta
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion (88g)
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (454g) cremini, baby Bella or white button mushrooms, cleaned, dried and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (383g) full fat coconut milk
- Optional - vegan parmesan, for sprinkling on top and extra parsley for topping
- Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- In a pan over medium high heat, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion, stir and let cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and reduce to medium heat.
- The garlic should sizzle when it hits the pan. Sauté the garlic for about 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, parsley, sea salt and black pepper, stirring together. Cook, stirring, for about 3-5 minutes on one side without moving the mushrooms; this will allow it to caramelize a bit and produce a beautiful golden colour, then turn the mushrooms over and let brown on the other side for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the reserved pasta water. Add in the cooked pasta, and stir/twirl everything together to combine. Add in the coconut milk, stir again and reduce heat to low. Let the coconut milk simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, top with vegan parmesan and chopped parsley, and serve and enjoy!
1.This recipe is vegan and gluten free. If you're not gluten free, you can use any type of pasta.
2.HOW TO STORE
You can store this dish in an airtight tupperware container for no more 3-5 days.
You could take this recipe up even a further notch by using roasted garlic!
P.S. Here are some of the items I used to make this recipe if you’d like to use them too: | WHAT YOU’LL NEED // SHOP MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS & PREP PRODUCTS |