Vegan BLT Sandwich
This Vegan BLT Sandwich is loaded with lots of meaty flavour! It’s perfect for quick lunches and dinners and you can use the tempeh bacon in so many ways!
Vegan BLT Sandwich
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, tamari or liquid aminos*
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, for colour
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 - 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 3 slices romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- ½ tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 2-3 slices of tempeh bacon
- 2 slices sourdough bread, or bread of your choice
- Slice the tempeh as thin as you can (without letting it fall apart). This helps to crips up the tempeh bacon slices. If you don't care about that, feel free to slice of however you want.
- In a pan, a steam basket or a cooling rack, and pour some water under neath that is not touching the pan. We're doing this to steam your tempeh, so if you have another way to steam it that's fine too! Even a place on crushed up foil with water underneath will work. Bring to a boil them add the slices of tempeh on top of the cooling rack/basket/plate (not touching the water). Cover with pot cover and steam for ten minutes. This helps to remove the bitterness and helps the tempeh to absorb more flavour.
- In a bowl or a Tupperware container, stir together the liquid smoke, the maple syrup, the tamari/liquid aminos and the smoke paprika. Add in the slightly cooled tempeh and gently toss or stir to ensure all of the pieces are marinated. Cover and let marinate for 2 hours up to overnight.
- When you've finished marinating them, heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Add the slices of tempeh bacon and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until cooked through and browned. Remove from heat, and add over any extra marinade to coat the tempeh in it from the residual heat.
- Serve in a BLT sandwich, in a vegan Cobb salad, or any other way you desire!
- Spread the mayonnaise evenly on both slices of bread. Assemble the ingredients: Slice of bread, tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, then slice of bread.
Disclaimer: Although jessicainthekitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Jessicainthekitchen.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.