Cauliflower Pizza Casserole is a cheesy, easy vegetarian dish for dinner that you can fill with all your favourite pizza toppings!
Is it just me, or is anything smothered in cheese pretty much perfect? You know I am all for healthy, clean meals that are delicious, but sometimes your love for cheese wins a bit, am I right? Not to worry, you can have your pizza and eat it too without any guilt because this pizza casserole is filled with delicious creamy cauliflower, pizza sauce, meaty mushrooms and topped with melty bubbly cheese.
This casserole came together pretty easy, and for anyone wondering about the cauliflower taste, cauliflower is one of my favourite meat substitutes. Being vegetarian doesn’t mean you don’t want something hearty to eat, and vegetables like cauliflower are perfect for that. It gets soft and creamy but maintains a texture that makes this casserole not only delicious, but very filling. Even better, the addition of mushrooms takes it over the top leaving you with a casserole that could easily replace Friday night pizza once in a while.
While I thought this tasted delicious fresh, reheated it seemed that the flavours melded together even better and tastes so great – kind of like leftover pizza that’s heated back up. While it seemed pretty easier to cream the cauliflower, I really wanted the vegetable to shine through, and it really does in this dish. I honestly think this is a great dish to get someone who is on the edge about cauliflower over on the right side! Okay, so I’m totally a cauliflower cheerleading, but you will definitely love this dish! And let’s not forget, melty, bubbly, golden brown cheese.
Need I say more?
Cheesy Cauliflower Pizza Casserole
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tomatoes, 1 diced, 1 in sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- chopped parsley, for topping (or herb of choice) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray or grease with oil.
- Season cauliflower with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and roast for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the marinara sauce to the cauliflower and mix to coat. Add the rest of the ingredients, except parsley, sliced tomato and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and stir together with a wooden spoon until add combined.
- In a greased 8x8 baking pan, add the cauliflower mix and cover with the rest of the cheese. Top with tomato slices.
- Lower oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 25 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, top with chopped parsley and serve.
If you try this Cheesy Cauliflower Pizza Casserole please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.