Vegan Caramel Sauce – 3 Ingredients

By Jessica Hylton - - Updated

Vegan caramel sauce in a jar with spoon pouring into the jar.

The Christmas season means many things. Several viewings of Elf. Lots of eggnog and hot chocolate drinking beside the Christmas tree. Most prevalent it seems, is the lots of sweets – and I mean lots. ‘Tis the season for overindulging in sweet things! So when you feel like you’re in need of a sweet craving this holiday (you will), make this Vegan Caramel Sauce.

Easy, creamy, thick and dreamy. Also? All natural ingredients, way healthier than store-bought caramel, and so incredibly easy to make, you’ll definitely make it more than once.

Vegan caramel sauce in jar with more caramel sauce pouring in.

What is Vegan Caramel Sauce?

So, what exactly is this Vegan Caramel Sauce made up of? All-natural sugar of your choice. That can be coconut sugar, cane sugar, organic brown sugar, sucanat, date sugar.

Honestly, the possibility are endless. This recipe is so customisable that it’ll fit your every needs.

Next on this list is the coconut milk. Yes, I said coconut milk friends. It helps to get the caramel thick and creamy, while keeping it vegan. There are a million amazing things to say about coconut milk but I’ll stick to one for right now: perfect heavy cream substitute.

Spoon of caramel sauce pouring into a jar.

Lastly, sea salt. It’s that pinch that helps to elevate all of the previous ingredients. I added only a ¼ teaspoon, but feel free to add up to ¾ teaspoon of sea salt if you desire a salted caramel.

Salted caramel really is the best. I wanted to keep mine neutral so that you could alter it to your liking.

Gold spoon in jar of vegan caramel sauce.

How to Make the Best Vegan Caramel Sauce

You could add vanilla extract, or scrape a vanilla bean for a heightened flavour. You could also add ground lavender, or even use fleur de sel instead of sea salt. That last one sounds divine!

Ways to Use Sauce

You can use it as fruit dip. You can drizzle it over pancakes. You can stir it into your coffee or oatmeal. Even your batter for muffins or cupcakes at the top for a sweet swirl or banana bread. You can use it in this Salted Pretzel Caramel Bark. The possibilities are endless!

This Vegan Caramel Sauce is made with only 3 ingredients! Healthier, all natural ingredients, and goes perfectly with everything you pour it over!! via https://jessicainthekitchen.com

Enjoy friends! If you make this 3 Ingredient Vegan Caramel Sauce, please snap a photo and tag #jessicainthekitchen on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!

Caramel sauce pouring into a jar.

Vegan Caramel Sauce

This Vegan Caramel Sauce is made with only 3 ingredients! Healthier, all-natural ingredients, and goes perfectly with everything you pour it over!!
by: Jessica in the Kitchen

• 3/4 cup coconut or cane or brown sugar
  • 1 cup full fat coconut milk from the can - the thick white part
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Instructions

Instructions

Vegan Caramel Sauce

• Heat a pot over medium high heat.
  • Add the sugar and stir around the pot for about 1 minute to heat through.
  • Add the coconut milk and and sea salt stir to combine.
  • Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer at low medium heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until caramel has thickened, stirring occasionally. It should be sticking to the back of your spatula or spoon.
  • You can stir in up to ¾ teaspoon extra sea salt at this point if you want salted caramel.
  • Remove pan from heat. Allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes then transfer to a jar with a lid.
  • Cover jar, and place in fridge to cool further for at least two hours. The sauce WILL thicken up much more upon cooling and also upon placing in the fridge, even if it doesn't look very thick after removing from the stove.
  • To use, simply remove from fridge and pour over anything you want. I use this for holiday pancakes, Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark and over ice cream and cakes. Enjoy!!

Video

NOTES
Serving size 1 Tablespoon
You can easily half this recipe, or even double it! Ensure that you’re using all coconut milk and not coconut water, else the sauce will not thicken up as much, and it will separate while cooling. This sauce lasts weeks in your fridge.

Nutrition

Serving: 1Tbs | Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 53mg | Potassium: 31mg | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg
by Jessica

Recipe Rating

134 comments

1. Margie says:

I make homemade caramel as a special gift at the holidays, but my boss is vegan, so I tried this recipe.

While it is delicious, it doesn’t taste anything like caramel, but rather tastes like a very sweet coconut sauce.

Did you try making it using the traditional method of caramelizing sugar with water and a tiny bit of lemon juice, then adding the coconut milk?

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Hi Margie! Thank you for commenting. We’re sorry you were not as satisfied with the caramel taste as we are. Trying the method you mentioned may cause crystallisation. If you do try we would be happy to hear how it turns out!

2. Natasha Soliar says:

Thank you so very much….I had a craving for caramel this afternoon to have with Digestive biscuits. I had all the ingredients using the creamed coconut I’d created as double cream over Christmas (been infused cinnamon, cardamon and vanilla. A little cocoa and I’m super excited about how this caramel fusion will be with my cup of tea. Thank you in advanced.

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

You’re so welcome Natasha! We really hope that you enjoyed this recipe!

3. Erin says:

It’s super delicious, but mine came out tan in color and then separated in the fridge. Any idea why? I used full fat coconut milk from the can, brown sugar, and sea salt.

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Hi Erin I’m so sorry it didn’t work out perfectly for you. I want ask this so we can solve this issue together. Did any of the coconut water from the can get into the sauce when making it?

• Erin Garner says:

Nope.

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Hmm. The only other thing I can think of is the cooking time ( It separates when it is heated too long) or a not up to snuff batch of coconut cream. It sounds like you did a great job sticking to the instructions. My only suggestion would be to try a different brand of coconut milk. The one we use that we found to be pretty consistent was the Thai kitchen coconut milk https://www.amazon.com/Thai-Kitchen-Coconut-Milk-13-66/dp/B000GZSDZI . I hope this was somewhat helpful.

• Erin Garner says:

I figured it out. I didn’t cook it long enough. In my worry to not overcook it, I undercooked it. Thanks so much for the help though. My daughter loves caramel but has developed a bunch of allergies this past year. She is loving being able to have good tasting caramel again.

4. Jody says:

My teenage daughter needed to bring a vegan dish for a potluck with friends tonight. We decided to make this for a dip with Granny Smith apples. I used regular sugar which I caramelized before adding the thick coconut milk. The sugar ended up seizing this way but I just kept stirring at a low boil and it dissolved turning out delicious. This was my first time using coconut milk. One question though – any recommendations on what to do with the thin coconut milk left from the can?

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Hi Jody I’m glad you enjoyed our recipe! You could definitely add it to a chickpea curry recipe or our tikka massala recipe. I hope this helps!

5. Meadbh says:

Do you think i could make chocolate carmel eggs out of these if put chocolate in egg moulds and fill them with the carmel? Would it be thick and gooey enough?

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Hi Meadbh you could definitely use it in you chocolate caramel eggs. They would definitely be thick and gooey enough. I hope this helps.

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Let me add that if you want it thicker, you can also cook it down for an extra 10 minutes!

6. Ellie says:

It’s pancake day and the only caramel sauce I could find, that I needed for the pancakes, bananas and vegan ice cream I am craving contains condensed milk ?
    So after googling a recipe came across this. Now I didn’t have any coconut milk in my cupboard and only a small amount of brown sugar. I only needed a small amount for my pancakes and I did have some soya cream, so I used 3 level desert spoons of brown sugar to 4 desert spoons of soya cream and the result – Amazing caramel sauce ? Happy pancake day!

• Jessica says:

Hi Ellie,

Yay! That’s so amazing and I’m so happy to hear! Happy Pancake Day to you too!!

7. GABRIEL says:

I’m not on a paleo or vegan diet but my family needs a sugar with a lower GI, and coconut sugar is my best option. What do you think I could use other than coconut milk?

• Jessica says:

Hey Gabriel,

I’m honestly not sure what else would work here other than coconut milk, since the fat from it is needed for this to thicken up like dairy caramel sauce. Sorry I couldn’t have been more help!

8. SallyJ says:

5 stars
    I used this recipe in order to make banoffee pie for my vegan daughter. She loved it and I was amazed how easy it was to make. Thank You.

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Thank you so much for reading and leaving a positive review Sally. We feel really happy that you were able to use this to make a dish for your daughter.

9. Minoo says:

Sounds yummy. Can I use coconut cream instead of milk?

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Hi Minoo! You should definitely be able to use the coconut cream. I this recipe it asks for you to use the cream that settles at the top of the can so it’s essentially the same thing!. We just know that the can is more readily available! I hope this helps! Thank you for reading!

10. Brittany says:

I’m so excited to try this! I know it wouldn’t be vegan, but could you replace the coconut milk with regular milk and still have it work?

• Gavin | Jessica in the Kitchen says:

Hi Brittany we haven’t tested this replacement but it should be able to work. I hope this helps!

shares