This Creamy Mushroom Soup is made from scratch and uses very little ingredients to make an amazing soup! It’s healthy, vegan, gluten free, absolutely delicious and loaded with divine creamy flavour!
I think it’s safe to say that I’ve become a soup lover. Three soups in only a few weeks is a blow away record for me. I’ve just fallen in love with its versatility, depth of flavours and how satisfied I feel after drinking it. I’ve definitely said this before: brown food happens to one of the most delicious kinds. Without a doubt, this creamy mushroom soup definitely falls within that category. It’s a beautiful creamy, flavour loaded soup that honestly tastes SO good! I could use a thousand words to describe it, but one thing for sure is: you MUST try this. It’s unbelievable the flavours that can come from so little ingredients.
I think I’ve come up with a perfect soup base. I’ve used the same “base” for my cauliflower soup, lentil soup and now, my creamy mushroom soup and it keeps winning. It’s kind of like homemade broth + garlic, onions and the main veggie. I know, CRAZY simple and I think that’s what lets it win so hard. The veggie of choice is insanely highlighted instead of covered up, and it shines through beautifully. The only difference in this creamy mushroom soup is the addition of a full can of coconut milk. By the way, it hits it out the park.
Take mushrooms. I adore garlic sautéed mushrooms because they taste so delicious and go with everything. As such, I knew I would have to make that the first step for this soup. I used 8, EIGHT, cloves of garlic. Garlic rules and that’s a whole lot of mushrooms. After adding in all the ingredients I did my new favourite step, to cream some of the soup then pour it back in. The Mr. and I tested and tested and found that 2 cups was perfect for this for the way WE love this soup.
It’s not a thick soup, but it’s not broth thin either. It’s a nice simple creamy soup. If you want a thick soup, I would recommend adding 3/4 cup less broth, and creaming everything. Then add in the broth if you want to thin it out. I loved this the way it was, and I was also craving this kind of soup.
The whole garlic mushrooms add that divine texture to the soup and turn it into even more of a meal. This would go perfectly with a crusty bread (YES) and a drizzle of coconut milk on top.
Dig in, and ENJOY!
P.S. Here are some of the items I used to make this recipe if you’d like to use them too:
| WHAT YOU’LL NEED // SHOP MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS & PREP PRODUCTS |
WATCH THE VIDEO TO SEE HOW IT’S MADE:
Creamy Mushroom Soup (Vegan & Mouthwatering)
This soup lasts about 4 to 5 days in the fridge. It freezes very well. To freezer allow to cool completely. You can freeze in a freezer safe tupperware container, or flat in one serving portions in a freezer safe zipped plastic bag. It will last at least 2 months in the freezer.
- 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 16 ounces/454g/5 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced (including mushroom stems)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion (about 3/4 cup), finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt & 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups high quality vegetable broth
- 1 13.5/383 can coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 sprigs thyme, stems removed
- In a large, deep pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil or vegan butter to heat.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, onion and salt and pepper. Stir together and sauté until mushrooms begin to release their natural juices and become fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and the coconut milk. Add in the thyme. Stir together and bring to a boil, then a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Scoop out two cups of soup (with some mushrooms) and pour into your blender. If you have a glass blender, ensure it cools down a bit first!
- Press the soup setting or blend until fully blended out. Pour back into soup pot and blend one more time.
- Serve the soup and top with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
If you try this Creamy Mushroom Soup (Vegan) please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.