This Vegan Creamy Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream is not only super chocolatey, no churn, and delicious, but is healthy for you!
This is the hottest summer ever! That means I am inhaling the fruits in our kitchen because the heat is ridiculous. We got some out of season avocados (YAY) and they weren’t even ripe – let’s just say they ripened up way too quickly. So, what happens when you have an avocado that you need to use?
I’ll tell you what happens! You’ll make it with chocolate fearlessly and gleam with excitement at all the possibilities of what could happen! You hope that it turns out amazing! You make chocolate avocado ice cream, and then you taste it, and marvel at absolutely amazing it is!
This chocolate avocado ice cream was THAT ice cream. I’m sure we’ve all seen the avocado in chocolate and maybe thought “uh” but I thought I was finally up to the challenge. I can now honestly say that this was one of the best ice creams I’ve had!Find that intriguing? Let me describe it!
I didn’t taste the avocado. Really, I didn’t. I won’t say it tastes exactly like ice cream with egg yolks and heavy cream (d-uh) but the avocado is the healthy fat substitute since the ice cream needs fat so it can be nice and creamy. I would say it adds a lightness to the ice cream, so you aren’t left dying for water after eating it at all, but mostly the chocolatey flavour is definitely satisfying.
Mr. Bakes loved it. Let me be clearer – he “hates” chocolate – I know, I know. I’m trying to hypnotise it out of him. He said he could eat this easily, and actually did. I was shocked. Guys, if a chocolate hater fell in love, don’t you think this is totally worth the try?
Seeing as how I don’t own an ice cream maker, I made this sans ice cream maker. It was pretty easy to make, and stood up way better than ice creams with eggs and heavy cream that I have made. I’m going to say this again – you don’t taste the avocado.
To me, avocado has a very neutral taste anyway, which is why I love it so much, since you can flavour it to your liking. I can’t explain how deliciously creamy this is! Just try it, trust me. It’s perfect for this ridiculous summer heat too, the perfect way to cool down.
And let me not forget, this ice cream IS healthy. Yup! Every ingredient benefits your health, from antioxidants, to all the crazy healthy fats of the avocado, to the coconut milk. That means I won’t judge you if you eat it all for dessert. You know what would go perfectly with this ice cream? A warm vegan chocolate brownie on top. Uh, yes.
Psh, I wouldn’t judge you if you ate it all for breakfast. It’s technically a harder healthy chocolate smoothie, right?
Vegan Creamy Chocolate-Avocado Ice Cream
- 13.5 oz / 380 g can full fat coconut milk
- 4.5 oz / 127 g avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- Vegan hot fudge, for drizzling
- Vegan Sprinkles, for sprinkling on top
- Add the avocado and coconut milk to a food processor/blender and pulse together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend in for about 2 minutes until smooth and incorporated, scraping down the bowl once.
Ice Cream Machine
- Place all ice cream base into a freezer-safe container in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set up before freezing.
- Freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions for your machine.
- Place all ice cream base into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer and allow to freeze for 1 hour.
- Whisk slightly every 20 minutes to avoid it getting too icy for 3-4 hours. It should be getting thicker after each whisking, until it's firm enough to scoop.
- To eat: serve immediately or when you are ready for it (after it's been in the freezer), thaw for 5-10 minutes and scoop with an ice cream scoop.
- You can optionally add hot fudge and sprinkles on top.
- This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
- HOW TO STORE
Store this ice cream in a freeze safe container. For the best taste and texture it is advised that you store it no longer than 2 weeks.
P.S. Here are some of the items I used to make this recipe if you’d like to use them too:
| WHAT YOU’LL NEED // SHOP MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS & PREP PRODUCTS |
If you try this Vegan Creamy Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream, please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.
MORE VEGAN CHOCOLATE RECIPES