This Skinny Vegan Pumpkin French Toast is only 90 calories per slice! It’s insanely delicious, healthy, nutritious and loaded with pumpkin flavour!
Happy September! I’m starting the month with some excellent news: a HEALTHY vegan french toast recipe!! We usually see french toast as an overindulgent, loaded with cream recipe, but not this delicious Vegan Pumpkin French Toast. It’s just as tasty as regular french toast, just as delicately crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, and just as satisfying. With just a few ingredient changes, I turned this into a dish you could actually have on a weekday morning without feeling guilty at all.
In true cliché form, I’m starting September with a pumpkin recipe. Of course it’s still very much summer but fall is most definitely on the way and I’m here to welcome it with open arms. This Vegan Pumpkin French Toast is so worth it though. I made vegan french toast sticks last year and you all seemed to love it so much that I knew I needed to include way more french toast recipes.
Can I just say, I want to smother everything with this pumpkin spice batter.
I used my trusted french toast batter and added in ½ cup of homemade pumpkin puree. Seriously, this TOTALLY transformed it! After adding in the pumpkin spice I wanted to gobble up both my and the Mr.’s share of french toast. Because I’m so kind, I did allow him to enjoy his toasts though. The pumpkin adds a depth to the flavours, a richness to the french toast, and makes it even more filling than before.
This pumpkin french toast remains way healthier than most because I used flax eggs which add tons of nutritional value, almond milk instead of the usual cream, and topped it with coconut cream instead of whipped cream. Between the pumpkin, flax seeds and the almond milk, you get a good amount of protein, fibre and vitamin A in each slice. It of course depends on the bread you use (I use regular whole wheat bread), but you’ll have about 90 calories for each slice of pumpkin french toast with all those nutrients packed in. Win, win.
Promise me you’ll try this, okay? You won’t regret it.
P.S. Here are some of the items I used to make this recipe if you’d like to use them too:
| WHAT YOU’LL NEED // SHOP MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS & PREP PRODUCTS |
Vegan Pumpkin French Toast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 flax egg - Learn how to make a flax egg or see notes*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin purée
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 8 slices thick toast bread
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Extra cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Coconut cream*, for topping
- Candied pecans, for garnish
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the bread. Whisk together and place in your freezer for the batter to set up and get thicker for 15 minutes.
- When the batter is thicker, whisk again.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter in a pan/griddle over medium high heat until hot.
- Dip the toast into the batter, do NOT soak them, and place in the pan/on the griddle to pan fry.
- Pan fry on each side for 3-5 minutes until it is crispy on the outside (check to ensure it doesn't burn), then turn over and pan fry on the other side. Both sides should be nice and golden and crispy.
- If your pan can hold all the bread, you can put them in all at once, or in two batches.
- Serve immediately topped with maple syrup, dusted with cinnamon and coconut cream.
- This recipe is vegan. Flax meal is ground up flax seeds. Learn how to make a flax egg at this blog post. You can buy flax meal or you can ground flax seeds up in a coffee grinder or NutriBullet. Measure the tablespoon after the flax is ground up.
- TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE You can make this gluten free by using a gluten free loaf of bread.
- HOW TO STORE You can store these in the fridge or freezer with wax paper between them in an airtight tupperware container. You can reheat them in the toaster oven or on a griddle.
If you try this Vegan Pumpkin French Toast please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.