With Super Bowl Sunday around the corner, I’ve been doing nothing but testing, choosing and refusing, and most of all, tasting. There has been a lot of tasting. Both on my part and Mr. Jessiker Bakes part (I’m blaming him for this!).
Before I get into this dip, can I confess something? I don’t watch American Football. At. All. Other sports, yes, especially since I’ve played almost every single one of them. Not American Football. But every year i attend a Super Bowl party. Yes, I know I know. But, it’s so much fun! It’s just another excuse for us all to get together and eat (hehe!). Mr. Jessiker Bakes is supporting the 49ers so…Go 49ers!
Speaking of a lot of tasting, I had too much of this Caramelized Onion Dip. Way too much. No, seriously, way too much. And he had more than me. It was “lunch” amidst making dinner and…it well…begged. It was fantastic; I’ve always had a love for caramelised onions and the sweetness of the onions here mixed with the sour of the sour cream makes a combination that is to die for. Try it, I promise, I won’t tell anyone. This makes a whole lot – try not to finish it alone okay?
P.S. Serve with TOSTITOS SCOOPS!
Super Bowl Sunday Ready Caramelized Onion Dip
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and sage. Cover and cook until onions are deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and sour cream in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in the cooled caramelized onions, salt, and pepper. Cover dip and refrigerate until flavors blend, about 2 hours.