This Homemade Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce will be the perfect addition to your bbqs full of a rich, smoky and delicious flavour!
I have a new obsession and it’s name is Orange is The New Black. I posted a picture of me watching it on Instagram and got flocked with support and encouragement from many watchers including a few of my blogger friends (I’m looking at you Joanne and Kayle!) which when you’re 20 minutes in a show means you must find out what the hype is about.
I didn’t need very long in the first episode to be hooked, and I’ve been hooked ever since. This including watching it up until 5 minutes before Game of Thrones last night and sacrificing a good seat in our usual viewing party in the living room.
The thing is, I can’t exactly binge watch it during the day because Mr. Jessiker Bakes is at work and I
signed a pledge in blood promised to not watch ahead of him. This means I have to dedicate myself in the daytime to things I’m actually supposed to be doing.
But enough about me, more about this Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce. There’s a local hot wings restaurant that used to serve strawberry barbecue sauce that I loved and the other day I was really craving it; the sauce, not the wings. And so, roasted strawberry barbecue sauce was born.
I chose to roast the strawberries because it produces a much deeper flavour and immerses much easier into the sauce. When I say that this sauce is delicious I mean BBQ King Mr. Jessiker Bakes approved. It has all the right hints of smokiness, flavour, and spice and the strawberry adds a delicious sweetness to it. It comes together so quickly that you’ll be wondering why you ever bought barbecue sauce from the store. This sauce is ready to be slathered on pretty much anything – or you can do like me and just eat it with a spoon.
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ cup paprika
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- ¼ cup chile powder
- ¼ cup ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- ¼ cup granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons cayenne (or less to taste)
- 2 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon magic dust
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Hot sauce (such as Tabasco) to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil paper, lightly greased with oil.
- Toss the strawberries with sugar in a bowl, then place on the cookie sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Make the magic dust first by combining all of the ingredients in a container than shaking to combine them.
- For the barbecue sauce, mix all of the ingredients together (including a tablespoon of magic dust) in a pot over medium high heat and bringing to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring until sauce is dark and ingredients incorporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, add the roasted strawberries and blend until incorporated.
- Pour into a container to store.
If you enjoyed this Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce, you’ll also enjoy Homemade Strawberry Jam!