This Roasted Carrot Soup tastes absolutely creamy, is loaded with flavour and is made in your oven! The ingredients are roasted then put right into your blender, so NO time is spent hovering over the stove. It’s the easiest soup you’ll ever make. It’s also vegan, gluten free and loaded with delicious healthy ingredients.
Today I guest lectured (!!) students taking a food styling course. Yes, what an amazing course, and was an amazing opportunity. I was so excited about this soup that it was my first example that I showed them, because well, this Roasted Carrot Soup is pretty much heaven on earth. After arriving home after the class, I opened the fridge, and had even more of this carrot soup.
I may turn orange. It would be totally worth it.
WHERE is Jessica and who is this soup addict?! After avoiding all soups my entire life except tomato bisque and my mother’s amazing pumpkin soup, I’ve been on a binge. A kick. I’m addicted. Soup has become my life. A bowl of warm comfort with my toes tucked into my favourite fuzzy slippers has become a thing. Hello hygge! With a slice of freshly made crusty bread and my favourite gold spoon, I have become a new woman.
I’m loving this woman, because she makes Roasted Carrot Soup. Specifically, roasted carrot soup with 5 cloves of roasted garlic, roasted onions, freshly grated ginger, creamy coconut milk, fresh lime juice and freshly made garam masala. Soup made on a SHEET PAN. I know, I know, what?!
It’s true. I had an idea to roast the carrots for a little bit to get flavour (because, duh), then cook the onions, garlic and ginger on the stovetop, then add the carrots, the other ingredients, and simmer away, then to blend everything together. As I was getting my burner for the video however, I started to think that roasted the onion and garlic would be obviously better by being roasted. Except, that would leave the ginger alone in the stovetop…which is a waste. Uh, dilemma, right? Wrong.
In a very aha moment, I realized the only reason I would be putting the ingredients in the pot would be to heat the soup. Solution? Heat a separate liquid. It’s literally the least tedious thing you’ll do in this soup. Pop it in the microwave or even in a small pot on the stove at the almost end of the roasting process. Pour everything into the blender and voila!!
The result? A soup I’ve been having for days on end. I’m not a leftovers kind of gal, and I’ve been going into the leftovers of this. It seems to keep tasting better and better. All the flavours meld together perfectly in this soup, in all the right ways. Roasting the vegetables brings out the sweet (yet savoury) side of the onions and the carrots, and the divine melt-in-your-mouth texture of the garlic. That plus garam masala, aka my favourite spice for vegetables like this and freshly grated ginger means a match made in heaven.
This is a soup you will not regret. 7 minutes of prep, and your oven and blender do all the work. Plus, talk about nutrition heaven. You’ll get loads of beta-carotene thanks to the carrots. You’ll also get anti-inflammatory properties thanks to the lime, garlic and the coconut oil. The coconut milk is loaded with fibre, your B vitamins and adds the perfect creamy touch to this soup, leaving you feeling comforted, satisfied and yet light. If you add turmeric, you’ll get even more added antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Roasted Carrot Soup – healthy and divinely creamy, like silk? Count me in.
Roasted Carrot Soup (Vegan + Easy Sheet Pan Soup!)
- Roughly 1 pound (465g) carrots, washed, dried and cut into 1/2 inch coins
- 1 tablespoon (13.05g) coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 5 cloves garlic, skins smashed but left on
- 1/2 inch (7g) knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 large white onion (100g to 150g), cut into quarters and separated (to prevent burning)
- 3 cups great quality vegetable broth, boiling hot*
- 1 13.5 oz (400g) can coconut milk
- juice of one medium sized lime
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric for health benefits
- More ginger if desired
- Pinch of cayenne or a scotch bonnet/habanero pepper added in for heat
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F/218 degrees C.
- On a large sheet pan prepared with a silicone mat, parchment or foil, add the carrots and the onions. Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and the garam masala. Season with a grinding of fresh sea salt and ground black pepper. Rub the seasonings and oil into the vegetables and spread out. Add the garlic in with the vegetables at this point.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, turning halfway, until veggies are roasted and carrots are fork tender.
- Remove from oven and remove the skins from the garlic.
- In a large blender, add all the remaining ingredients with the vegetables. Ensure that the broth is very hot. If you're not using large blender (holds at least 6 cups) then do this in increments.
- Using the soup setting on your blender, or a very powerful blend option, blend until creamy and smooth. My blender automatically blends for about 3 minutes continuously.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Top with garnish (I used fennel fronds since I had in the fridge, but parsley, chives or dill work just as fine) and a pinch of cayenne for a bit of heat.
- Serve into bowls and enjoy!
- This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
- The broth needs to be very hot so that if helps to break down the vegetables, and so that you can serve the soup right out of the blender. You can do this by heating it in the microwave or even on a stovetop if you'd like. I had just made very fresh boiling hot broth and used that.
If you try this Roasted Carrot Soup please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.