This Protein Breakfast Bowl is loaded with healthy delicious veggies, is packed with protein, healthy fats to keep you full all morning long! Loaded with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, avocado slices, and sautéed spinach run down.
Confession time: I’ve been making this sort of breakfast bowl for ages now, and it just occurred me to yesterday while the Mr. was whipping one up for me to actually put it on the site! How could I have kept this a secret? Nevertheless, this beauty is here now. This is one of my favourite make ahead protein power breakfast bowls, because all the components can be cooked, then easily reheated and enjoyed as if just fresh. You can also make this fresh in just a few steps. I guarantee, it’ll keep you full for hours and make you feel energised. Here’s to that, Monday!
This Protein Breakfast Bowl is where it’s AT. Crispy chickpeas, seasoned black beans, roast sweet potatoes and a sautéed spinach run down all come together with a soft boiled egg and a few slices of avocado. The Mr. and I were doing a mini chant over these eggs hoping they’d actually come out soft boiled and BAM! They were the perfect compliment to all the other yumminess and protein packed veggies in this bowl.
This bowl kept me nice and filled for hours. I don’t eat much at one sitting usually, but I was digging right into this bowl. Please know my portions may be slightly skewed so feel free to add more if you don’t think it’s enough for you. That’s why I’ve always loved bowl foods of all kinds: they are just so customisable.
Re this post on 2016 update – the Mr. and I have been on a super clean eating health kick. Meal prepping has been a saviour to both our busy weeks. Plus, I’ve been exploring every other good carb out there and let me tell you I feel unstoppable. I forgot just how much I loved all the beans and I’ve found that I don’t need to just throw in a slice of bread for no good reason into every single meal. I’ve also been having all my favourite Jamaican sides too. Hello breadfruit (MUST do a post on this), plantain, boiled bananas and sweet potatoes. It’s so fun to incorporate them into every meal.
Speaking of Jamaican fav sides, maybe you’re thinking uh, what is sautéed Spinach run down? It isn’t authentic, since authentic run down isn’t vegetarian, but it’s my own spin on it. Spinach + coconut milk (Jamaican staple) + lots of veggies, seasonings and salt and pepper cooked down = run down for me. I love cooking spinach in this way because you eat tons of it (so packing in your veggies). I feel it brings out the best flavours of Spinach.
All in all, this breakfast bowl packs in so many servings of veggies into one meal. It’s not only nutritiously good for you, it’ll keep you full and energised all day long. Here’s to breakfast bowls!
Power Breakfast Bowl: Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans & Avocado
- 2 boiled eggs
Roasted sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans (you can use black beans from the can, washed and drained)
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (you can use chickpeas from the can, washed and drained)
- Avocado slices
Spinach run down/sautéed mixture
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Sriracha to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Drizzle the 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil over the sweet potatoes. Pour the sea salt & black pepper to taste, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder over and massage into the sweet potatoes.
- Pour onto a lined cookie sheet (lined with foil or a silicone mat) and roast for 20 minutes until crisp on the outside and fully cooked through.
- While sweet potato is roasting, in a pan over medium high heat, heat 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, and add the chickpeas and black beans. You can mix them together or separate them if you want. Toss with remaining spices (1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder & sea salt and pepper to taste). Heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until warm and chickpeas become crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the baby spinach, coconut milk, chopped bell peppers, chopped onions and minced garlic. Stir together, cover with lid and allow to cook down for about 3 to 5 minutes until spinach is wilted. Remove lid and stir everything together to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To Assemble Bowls
- Assemble equal amounts of each ingredient in the bowls and top with egg. Cut egg in half (I love soft boiled eggs) and drizzle with Sriracha. Enjoy!
Makes 2 bowls. I prefer to make all these ingredients ahead of time for meal prep and eat them throughout the week! They all last very long in the fridge. Just portion out the bowls and reheat on stove top prior to eating.
If you try this Protein Breakfast Bowl: Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans & Avocado please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.