These Lemon Cupcakes with Whipped Buttercream will taste like a sweet, cloudy dream! Lemon zest is added for garnish and adds a delicious pop of flavour to these cupcakes!
Happy Friday! Today I have a guest post to share with you of cupcakes I made for Best Friends for Frosting, which is like one of my favourite websites for all things girly and sprinkles! I’m going to give you a preview of the post, but I want you to check it out for the recipe!
When I think of the upcoming spring season, the first thing that comes to mind is lemon. I love lemon anything, especially lemon desserts! It’s certainly my favorite flavor, and I have been stocking up on them to make all sorts of lemon treats, including these cupcakes! They’re light and very fluffy, thanks to the butter and the buttermilk in the ingredients. They are by no means tart, but they are packed with vibrant flavor that delivers on freshness and a slight bite of lemon zest added right before you bake the cupcakes. The sweet vanilla and lemon come together so very well.
You can check out the rest of my post here for my guest post on Best Friends for Frosting and see the recipe BELOW.
Lemon Cupcakes with Whipped Buttercream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of pastry flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavouring (optional but amazing)
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
WHIPPED BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Lemon zest, as garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cupcake pan with 15 liners. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar for 7 minutes until creamed together, stopping to mix together every 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time. Mix for 30 seconds, then add the other egg. Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk (alternating) to the mix in three rounds, starting with the flour and ending with it.
- Add butter flavoring and the lemon juice to mix until just mixed.
- Add the lemon zest and fold in.
- Fill each cupcake liner with about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the cupcake pan and place on a wire rack.
WHIPPED BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- Beat the butter and vanilla for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add 1/2 of the powdered sugar and 1 tbsp of the milk. Beat for about 3 minutes, until all is incorporated.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar and the milk. Mix for at least 8 minutes, using the spatula to mix everything together every 3 minutes, until the frosting is white and fluffy.
- Once ready, pipe frosting onto the cupcakes in a circle.
- Add a bit of lemon zest on top as garnish right before serving.
If you enjoyed these cupcakes, you’ll love these Root Beer Float Cupcakes!
You’ll also want to try these Vanilla Caramel Cupcakes!
Check out all my muffins and cupcakes recipes!