Let’s kick off Pumpkin Fall Week at Jessiker Bakes with the traditional how to make pumpkin puree from scratch! It’s better than buying it in the tin because it not only tastes better, but the process is so easy you’ll have no problem learning how to do it. So let’s get started.
Meet the pumpkin family. But…what’s that in the background?
Mr. Knife…Uh oh…I think they know what’s coming..
Let’s scoop out all the insides..allllll the stringy inside and the seeds. But don’t throw the seeds away!!!
We’re going to clean them and use them in another recipe! Trust me, they’re great.
He’s back! Hi-yaahhh!
I think I’m enjoying this too much. Cut those pumpkins into smaller sizes.
Perfect! Lay them out on a baking tray now…and season with some salt and pepper for savoury recipes, or nothing.
And into the oven for 60 minutes.
All done! Now watch what happens when I peel off a piece of the back…
It comes off super easy! Go ahead and peel those babies off, then throw the chunks into a food processor.
Okay so, we’re going to blend blend blend…until it’s much smoother.
Since I’m going to be using it right after, I put it into a sealed container to go into the fridge.
All done! Look, free advertising. Store in your fridge until needed, or, if you’re not going to use it for now (like, this week) you can store the pumpkin puree into plastic zip bags and place them in the freezer laid flat.
How to Make Pumpkin Puree
- As many pumpkins as you want
- Set your oven to preheat at 350.
- Scoop out the insides of the pumpkin (the seeds and stringiness).
- Cut into manageable sizes and lay on a baking tray.
- Season with salt and pepper (optional).
- Bake for 1 hour in the oven until it is fork tender (should slide right off of a fork stuck into it.)
- When finished baking, peel the skin (it should come right off)
- Put the pumpkin into a food processor and blend until it's smooth.
- Store in your fridge in a container until needed, or, if you're not going to use it for now (like, this week) you can store the pumpkin puree into plastic zip bags and place them in the freezer laid flat.