These Gluten Free Vegan Cranberry Orange Scones have a dreamy orange glaze, are packed with cranberries and are SO delicious and gluten free!
Hello beautiful scones! And of course, beautiful readers! 🙂 Today I’ll be doing a review and giveaway of Cara Reed of Fork and Beans‘ Decadent Gluten Free Vegan Baking Cookbook which by the way? Is my NEW favourite cookbook of the year. It’s pretty awesome. Don’t worry, I’m also going to be talking about these delicious Gluten Free Vegan Cranberry Orange Scones!
Today’s post will be loading with tons of photos because I pretty much love them all and I can’t decide between them. These beauties are made from Cara’s original recipe in her cookbook Decadent Gluten Free Vegan Baking and trust me, I’ll definitely be making these again. We are talking scones that converted my dad who I’ve been able to show that vegan treats are pretty delicious and he’s been able to nod, smile and agree while chewing. Accomplishment unlocked.
To say these Gluten Free Vegan Cranberry Orange Scones are decadent is actually the best description as per the cookbook, but they are so light and fluffy at the same time that you could grab one and some tea and that’s your breakfast. Okay, maybe grab two because they so good. The orange flavour is just a hint but deliciously so, and the cranberries (favourite part!!) are bursting with flavour in the scones and a delightful texture. I froze the (few) leftovers of these so that I can grab one whenever I feel like. I love how simple the recipe is, and Cara’s All Purpose Gluten Free Blend is something you just have to try. Talk about revolutionising gluten free baking!
Now, to the cookbook. When I asked to participate in Cara’s virtual tour I kind of did a happy dance!! I’ve been following her blog for a while and Mr. Bakes has heard from top to bottom about her guide to eggless baking and gluten free blends in particular because they helped me so much…I was literally standing in the health store with the guides and searching the shelves. Knowing that her recipes and tips already work, I was completely gung ho to participate.
Cara’s cookbook Decadent Gluten Free Vegan Baking is the vegan cookbook you want to get and gift for the holidays and beyond! Seriously, it is packed with so many great recipes and ideas that just goes to show (even more) that vegan baking doesn’t have to be tasteless or bland or any of the bad misinformed stereotypes it has gotten. I’ve got my eye on the Creamy ‘Cheese’ Pastry Squares and can’t wait to fully devour this book over the holidays. Truthfully, I wish I could actually devour the book and all these treats come pouring out at me…
Now the giveaway! One lucky reader will get a copy of this amazing cookbook 🙂 which trust me, you’ll want to get! Separate from that Cara’s cookbook is available both online and in stores so ensure you snatch a copy. All you have to do is follow the giveaway directions below to get this party started. Staring at these photos is starting to get to me so I’m going to slowly back away from the computer and run to the scones.
This giveaway is open to only those in the USA and Canada and good luck!
This recipe is printed with expressed permission from Cara Reed and the Page Street Publishing Co.
Gluten Free Vegan Cranberry Orange Scones
These Vegan Cranberry Orange Scones have a dreamy orange glaze, are packed with cranberries and are SO delicious and gluten free!
- 2 cups/330 g Cara’s All-Purpose Blend
- 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon/16 g baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup/50 g granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons/70 g vegan butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup/240 ml light coconut milk, canned
- 2 teaspoons/4 g orange zest
- 1 cup/120 g dried cranberries
FOR “EGG” WASH
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml water
- 2 teaspoon/6.5 g cornstarch
FOR SUGAR GLAZE
- 1 cup/120 g powdered sugar
- 1–2 teaspoon/5-10 ml orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Whisk the flour, xanthan, baking powder, salt and sugar together. With a pastry blender, add the butter into the flour mix until crumbly. Stir in milk. Before you completely combine the dough together, add the zest and cranberries. Mix until flour is completely combined.
- Gently pat dough into a circle (approximately 8–inch/20-cm diameter). Slice the scones into 6 pieces and place on a greased baking sheet and coat a thin layer of the “egg” wash by whisking the water and cornstarch together, and then gliding onto the dough with a brush. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light browned. Allow to cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes. Coat the tops of the scones with the sugar glaze.
- To make the glaze Combine all ingredients to make a paste thick enough to stir but not too runny.
Disclosure: Although I was not compensated for this review, I was given a free copy of the cookbook. All opinions are my own!
If you try these Gluten Free Vegan Cranberry Orange Scones please let me know in the comment section below, or tag me on instagram with the hashtag #jessicainthekitchen! For more exclusive recipes follow me on Instagram AND on Snapchat: jessinkitchen.