If you’re seeing this, then more than likely you just heard me say on my TVJ’s Smile Jamaica Easter Demo to run here for the recipe and more pictures. P.S. It was SUPER fun!
If not, no worries, you’re still in the right place.
These are what I like to call Bird’s Nest Easter Cupcakes. You know, my-bird-mom-abandoned-me-please-dont-eat-my-chocolate-eggs.
Can I say, those chocolate eggs are so delicious. Like, steal candy from a baby delicious. Not that I’d ever do that, of course…
These are perfect for Easter which is almost officially upon us (Hello March 31st!) and so you can start making them now – plus they’re super easy. As promised, I’m giving you step-by-step pictures to recreate these gems.
Click to see the photos and the recipe for these Bird’s Nest Easter Cupcakes!
P.S. The recipe is at the bottom of this post in full detail and without my random ramblings and all you have to do is press Print to save it forever.
Or, bookmark it. Whatever.
Anyway, first things first, tint your buttercream frosting teal, which I think is such a pretty spring colour that why wouldn’t it be the resting ground of a bird’s eggs?
BY THE WAY. Don’t you find it weird that all of a sudden all eggs are okay for Easter? I mean first chickens, now birds? Boy, the kind of people that we are…
Next, Slide a coupler into a piping bag. IF YOU DON’T HAVE THESE, IT’S OKAY. Just use two ziplock bags, snip one a bit wider for the base, and one thinner for the nest branches.
Right on. So, snip it.
Now make your chocolate frosting. Or you could’ve made it before. But if you made it before, you may have ending up taste testing it a bit too much.
Fill your bag with frosting. I use a cup because it’s much easier this way.
Put a rubber band at the end, then squeeze it all the way down. Now, for the first step we don’t want our piping tips yet.
Pipe a circle. This is the base. Yes, it’s ugly. Don’t worry, we will beautify it.
It’s tip time! I’m using a #2 or #3 Tip. Go back and forth over the circle until…
You have this.
Then give me a squiggly line all around and up and down, for that whimsical, I-am-a-real-bird’s-nest look.
Add some chocolate eggs on top (found anywhere crafts are sold since they will have easter themed items) and voila!
Help! Our mama’s have left us alone! Please don’t eat us!
I’m sorry. I’m going to eat you and destroy your homes too. And your friends’ and their homes!
…Thank you for putting up with my weirdness. I just simply loved themed creations.
Bird’s Nest Easter Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For teal background
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Teal food dye colouring
For Chocolate nests
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with cupcake liners. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
- Tint your buttercream frosting teal.
- Next, Slide a coupler into a piping bag. IF YOU DON’T HAVE THESE, IT’S OKAY. Just use two ziplock bags, snip one a bit wider for the base, and one thinner for the nest branches.
- Now make your chocolate frosting.
- Fill your bag with frosting. I use a cup because it’s much easier this way.
- Put a rubber band at the end, then squeeze it all the way down. Now, for the first step we don’t want our piping tips yet.
- Pipe a circle. This is the base.
- I’m using a #2 or #3 Tip. Go back and forth over the circle until you've covered it with small ropes.
- Make a squiggly line around the bottom and spaces not covered.
- Add some chocolate eggs on top (found anywhere crafts are sold since they will have easter themed items).