Let’s get to the chase. These fries taste amazing. They are healthy.
Moms around the world will thank you.
Zucchini farms will be grateful for your great work.
Eat up. Enjoy.
And the sauce? MAKE IT FROM SCRATCH.
Zucchini Baked Breaded Fries with Marinara Sauce
For the zucchini
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into sticks
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tbsn. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- fresh pepper
For the marinara sauce
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 tbsn. chopped fresh basil
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn it. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place the breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese; shake well. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Dip the zucchini sticks into the egg and then place into the bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with some marinara sauce for dipping.