Delicious Asian Beer Braised Chicken Skewers are packed with the flavours of Chinese five spice and a Jamaican lager beer, then smothered with a delicious homemade teriyaki sauce!
I’m celebrating Beer Month with my friend Sophia over at NY Foodgasm this month! Her blog is mainly beer based and shows how she produces both savoury and sweet treats using different beers! P.S. there is a linky widget below to add your favourite beer links.
I actually got into beer when I got into Super Bowl (and by get into, I mean I chose a team in the last ¼) and I actually really like one of our local beers Red Stripe! I’m not a beer connoisseur, I will admit, but when you’re baking/cooking with beer it creates wonders. I’ve used beer quite a few times before on my blog, in these beer-battered fish tacos, these root beer cupcakes (my favourite cupcakes to date) in these black velvet baby cakes and in this Guinness Chocolate Cake (yumm) and it has made all the sweet desserts even more chocolate-y and the savoury light and flavourful.
What’s your favourite type of beer, and are you into it?
This chicken skewers definitely do not disappoint. They are 5 stars in terms of flavour and are so soft with this tender method of cooking them. Mr. Jessiker Bakes loves to get out on the grill, so you know who will be trying these again. You will love the homemade teriyaki sauce as a glaze on afterwards, but if you can’t find those ingredients you could truthfully cook down bottled teriyaki sauce and brush it on.
The soaking of the chicken in the marinade means that its soaked with flavour and the beer lends greatly to that, creating such a soft and light texture that leaves you wanting more. The Chinese Five Spice was probably my favourite addition next to the beer for its signature Asian spices. Perhaps I’ve skipped right past spring and into summer, but it’s practically summer here all year round so at least you know I will be cranking out summer recipes for you early!
- ½ cup lager beer (I used Red Stripe)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- oil for the grill
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin (or sake)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- In a large bowl or container whisk together all the seasonings and the beer. Add the chicken and marinate overnight.
- Remove the chicken from marinade and thread the chicken through the skewers.
- Preheat your grill to medium high and brush lightly with oil (This can also be done on a panini machine or indoor kitchen grill).
- Cook the chicken on each side for about 5 minutes each, turning about 3 times in between.
- Brush the chicken with the sauce on the last turn right before it's cooked. Serve with sauce.
- Add the sauce ingredients together in a sauce pan.
- Allow ingredients to come to a quick boil then reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Don’t forget to check out Sophia’s blog and add your favourite beer entries below!
If you loved these Asian skewers, you will also love this Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken!
You’ll also love these Sriracha-Infused Saucy Asian Meatballs with Szechuan Glaze!
Check out all my dinner recipes!